Wednesday, March 30, 2011

When the Plan Doesn't Work


As many of you know, I made a New Year’s resolution to write every day this year. And I’ve been doing that...until Tuesday of last week.

I let all the crazy little things in life distract me and I sort of fell off the wagon, got a concussion, and went blind. And I completely stopped writing on my story.

Sunday I spent my designated ‘write only’ day, doing something other than writing, and then I felt like the fat lady who had fallen off her diet and ate everything in sight. But instead of feeling bloated, fat and gassyJ, I was more disinterested, vague, and lazy.

And I completely lost interest in my writing. Isn’t that a major sin or something?

I think it shoud be.

Well anyway, Sunday night I felt horrible. I’d planned to be in a certain spot in my story before Dreamin’. I’m not there and I’m not happy.

So, last night when I came home from a very, very tough day at work, learning a new payroll system, I wanted to do nothing more than order pizza, grab a beer and veg out on the couch until bedtime.

NO, NO, NO!

I did not allow myself to do that. I fixed a light dinner, had a quick glass of wine, then shut the door to my office and wrote for three hours.

I didn’t want to. I didn’t feel my story and didn’t know my next plot point. And my characters were a faint memory.

In fact I’d lost touch with my whole story, my fabulous story, in six days!

After two tormenting, intense hours of writing, I finally got my groove back. It wasn’t easy and it damn sure wasn’t pretty, but I managed to get my brain and my muse back together at last.

What did I learn?

Write every day! Don’t let life, people, chapter business, or laziness steal your dream. Your dream to publish a book is the only thing in the world that is truly your very own.

Claim it and make it happen!

Oh yeah, one more thing...Learn to say Hell No!

Write On!

Geri Foster




3 comments:

  1. Geri, you are so right! We have to say no to those things that distract us or weight us down. I have been resigning from things I don't enjoy as much as writing and freeing myself to write more. You know how blah my writing has been, so I've been reading and resting to get my oomph back. The problem is, I haven't finished the book I'm pitching at Dreamin' In Dallas. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, Geri. But you always get going again. You're doing great so hang in there! I so feel your pain. Hugs! Writing can sure be painful can't it? But immensely rewarding when you finally get to THE END.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, Geri. But you always get going again. You're doing great so hang in there! I so feel your pain. Hugs! Writing can sure be painful can't it? But immensely rewarding when you finally get to THE END.

    ReplyDelete