Friday, April 1, 2011

Disconnect to Reconnect


A view outisde our cabin.
While recuperating from dental surgery, my husband kept suggesting we go to Possum Kingdom. After a couple days of boredom lying around watching TV, I agreed.

Going to the lake was the best thing I could have done for myself. What a great way to heal the body and mind. When we found our destination spot, Golden Cove, we were pleased with the view of the lake so we decided to stay there. Besides the fact that the small cabin (Who needs much room at the lake? We spend most of our time outdoors anyway - just a place to flop at the end of the day.) didn’t have a closet or pegs or anything to hang clothes on, or that it didn’t have pots or pans, or any kitchen utensils, or a remote for the TV (Hubby’s necessity), the cabin was comfortable. Next time we will be more prepared and know what we need to bring. Most of the other places we’ve been do provide those items listed above, or they used to.


Beautiful Sunset at Possum Kingdom
We didn’t check out the cabins before going because my husband used to work the area and he knows his way around and wanted to hunt for just the right spot. I’m glad we set out with no firm plans except for location. We hit a few other spots, but liked this one for the view and super easy access to the boats, as they rented them right there.

Since there weren’t any closets, we were going to live out of our suitcase, so I unpacked the laptop and turned it on, but couldn’t get a WiFi connection to the internet so gave up trying. This actually turned out to be a good thing and kept me from being able to log on and use up precious disconnection time. Disconnect to reconnect.

Disconnect from the internet and social media and Reconnect with the soul, nature, and real face-to-face people.

Once we settled in, we put our lawn chairs out and watched the golden oranges and reds of the Texas sunset settling over the water. I brought a variety of “soft foods” for me to eat because of my recent dental work, but since I couldn’t cook anything, there wasn’t much for Honeybunch to eat, so we went out to dinner at one of the local restaurants. Turned out they didn’t have a lot I could eat, but that was okay since I could stand to lose a pound or two.


Deer outside our cabin
Later, while looking out the sliding glass door of our cabin, I noticed there were shadows lurking about. Once fear subsided and my focus could figure out what the heck was out there, I realized deer were grazing. Several! We watched them graze for a long while mesmerized by the fact that there were so many of them.


My own picture of Hell's Gate!
The next day we spent on the lake, adventuring around staring at all the gorgeous homes surrounding the area. A friend of my husband’s owns a home out there so of course we had to find it so we could take a picture from the water. We also could not miss Hell’s Gate because it’s one of the prettiest spots to visit. It was mighty cold, but we allowed our teeth to chatter and enjoyed the ride anyway. We fished a little but not much because of the cold and because we kept getting snagged and losing lures, so we’ll have to go back when it’s warmer to justify the thirty dollar fishing license fee. It was worth the trip anyway. Sometimes you just have to say, “What the heck?” and splurge on yourselves. You are worth it!


This is the tree we sat under
 and we covered the table and seat
 with corn too.
Earlier that day when we went to rent the pontoon boat, my husband saw that they had deer feed for sale. Dime-candy sized brown bags of loose corn for a dollar. We bought four and spread the corn all around the front area of our cabin. Then we placed our lawn chairs near a big tree…and waited.


One of the deer peeking at us through the fence

My absolute favorite picture! This little guy was checking us out around the tree trunk. We were right behind it.
We hadn’t been sitting there long when we spotted a deer in the distance. Soon it and a few others came sniffing around. They kept peeking at us through the fence and around the tree to see if we were safe. We tried to keep fairly still so we wouldn’t scare them away. One, two, three, five, seven, and they kept on coming. Last count I had there were twenty-three deer munching corn off the ground, and we were sitting right in the middle of them! I took pictures and was taking a video when the batteries in my camera lost their charge! Darn! I did however get a little bit of footage when there were seven deer around.


Several were beginning to show up!
We sat for the longest time just amazed and feeling like we were in the middle of a National Geographic film shooting! I could never begin to express how excited I was and how this memory will be imprinted on my mind forever. At one point a young buck stood up on his back legs. You don't realize how tall they are until they do that. I didn’t quite know what to think of it until another buck did the same thing and the two got into a boxing match. I could not believe I was sitting there watching this take place right before my eyes! I remember I just kept thinking, I sure hope they don’t move to far in our direction, because those guys were kicking ass!

Lone wolf wanted water!
The two bucks continued socking each other like teenage boys trying to win a girl, until one finally gave up and left the area. I felt sorry for the loser and he wandered off, often looking back at the group. We sat for the longest time, but after that excitement there wasn’t much that could have topped it for the evening so gently got up and went inside. I had trouble tearing myself away from the window. I always feel like I'm living a little bit of heaven when I get to experience such wonderous things.

That had to have been one of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had. What a treat! Thanks, Honey, for talking me into going. I’d love to hear some of your memorable experiences. Please leave me a comment!

Happy exploring and making memories!
Wendy

1 comment:

  1. Wendy, I love, love, love your photos and your post. Possum Kingdom is so pretty. That's the setting for my book OUT OF THE BLUE and we took a similar photo of Hell's Gate because it figures in the book. I envy those who live there. My friends have sold their property a couple of years or so ago because the taxes just increased so much. Lovely place to visit, isn't it? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete